Tuesday 3 January 2017

Article on Social Class of an indivisual

Article on Social class of an individual

Social Class Definition:
A social class is a status hierarchy in which individuals and groups are classified on the basis of esteem and prestige acquired mainly through economic success and accumulation of wealth. Social class may also refer to any particular level in such a hierarchy.
Four common social classes informally recognized in many societies are:
Upper class
 Middle class
Working class
Lower class
For Marx, class is a combination of objective and subjective factors. Objectively, a class shares a common relationship to the means of production
Max Weber formulated a three-component theory of stratification
Class: A person's economic position in a society. Weber differs from Marx in that he does not see this as the supreme factor in stratification.
Status: A person's prestige, social honor, or popularity in a society. Weber noted that political power was not rooted in capital value solely, but also in one's status. Poets and saints, for example, can possess immense influence on society with often little economic worth.
Power: A person's ability to get their way despite the resistance of others. For example, individuals in state jobs, such as an employee of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or a member of the United States Congress, may hold little property or status but they still hold immense power.
The common three-stratum model
Upper class
The upper class is the social class composed of those who are rich, well-born, powerful, or a combination of those
Middle class
The middle class is the most contested of the three categories, the broad group of people in contemporary society who fall socio-economically between the lower and upper classes.
Lower class
Lower class (occasionally described as working class) are those employed in low-paying wage jobs with very little economic security. The term "lower class" also refers to persons with low income.
Social classes  in the United States
Upper Class – Elite
Upper Middle Class
Lower Middle Class
Working Class
Poor
Personal Analysis

Define your social class:
Well as stdying the all stated classes above I would define my class as Uper middle class because professions which fall in this category represent scientific and technical knowledge – engineers, accountants, lawyers, architects, university faculty, managers and directors of public and private organizations. Have both high incomes and high social prestige. Well-educated. Difficult to define a “middle class” (i.e. upper middle, middle middle and lower middle) probably the largest class group in society because being middle class is more that just income, about lifestyles and resources, etc. So according to this I will fall in upper middle class category because by profession my father is a DAO (Divisional account officer) in federal goverment, he has a stable job and a handsome amount of income. My father's job is not the only reason for putting myself in upper middle class category but also my brothers play a major role in this as they are entrepreneurs and they run their own production business. From my early childhood i have been living in a comfortable easy environment, all my basic needs has been fullfilled without my personal efforts. I studied in renown school, college and universty and lived a satisfied life. By the grace of God and our the financial stbaility and respect of my family in society we all siblings are living a very satisfied and balanced life and we are very much comfortable in our zone and we would never want to change ourselves for others.
Think about the impact of your class in your life:
Yes every class has a impact on indivisuals life but to be honest the categorization of classs doesnot makes much difference. According to my thinking one must be judged on his talent, abalties and capabalties. Well specfically if i talk about my class i am so much satisfied with it. I am living a quality life my family never compromised on my education, health extra curicular activties and living style. I always had a positive impact of my social class on my life because the idea of mantained balanced life has always been encouraged in my family and this mind set led me a wondeful growth in my life. I was never greedy for more but surely was encouraged and motivated this thought always left positive vibes in my life
Is class consciousness in play?
Class consciousness is basically awareness of social standing. Defining a person social class would be more like defining how much they really know about their class. By the term class consciousness people can even take it in negative cannotation about people who are always concious about brands, class, society,image but I think that the term class consciousness here is not used in the sense of having complexes it is about that do the people who belong to the particular social class are aware of their social standing or not are they aware of their position in the society do they have complete understanding of their social class or not. Particuraly talking about my self so I am totally awared of my class,Posistion and standing in society. Knowing your class is not born knowledge with the passage of time you learn step by step by observing society, family and the objects which revolve around you clarifies where you stand. The most important thing about your class is being comfortable and satisfied in it the urge or the greediness of fixing yourself among elites and showing yourselves as elites following brands and keeping brand image will surely disturb your mental stability and peace of mind. Keeping your self positive and satisfied in your own class can lead you to unstopable sucess in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment